[Histonet] Re: Brain frozen sections

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:29:42 CDT 2009

You guys tell your pathologists to listen to Dr. Hessler - he taught
me how to do these preparations, and the basics of interpreting them,
when I did a locum tenens for him at the Medical College of Georgia
(in Augusta) 6 years ago. I did a lot of them when I got a full time
job at a place that did a lot of neurosurgical pathology, a year
later.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN
There is nothing you can do to make brain frozen sections acceptable.
Your Pathologists need to learn how to read smears, or just accept
being wrong 50% of the time. An educated guess based on the imaging is
more accurate than frozen sections on intra-axial primary brain
tumors.

Richard B Hessler, MD
Chief of Pathology
Erlanger Medical Center