[Histonet] Cryotomy help

Davoli, Katherine A katherine.davoli at pitt.edu
Fri Jul 12 11:09:31 CDT 2024

The initial freeze isn't usually the problem.  It's what happens when it warms back up to Cryostat cutting temperatures of -20 or -25.
You'd need to get the methanol out of the tissue completely because it causes the support to melt at the temperatures the Cryostat cuts at.

And unfortunately I have not found a method that fully removes ethanol or methanol from a tissue sample that would then allow me to freeze and cut it.  If someone else replies with one I will genuinely be delighted because I have this problem a lot.

Katherine Davoli, MDiv, HTL(ASCP)cm    (they/them/theirs)
Lab Manager, Tissue Culture & Histology Cores, U. Pitt Dept of Ophthalmology
7.373 UPMC Mercy Pavilion        1622 Locust St.,Pittsburgh PA 15219
(412) 624-8508   this number cannot receive texts