[Histonet] Long term museum specimen storage

Rhonda McCormick rmccormick10 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 10:39:33 CDT 2023

Hi All,
I am looking to replace the fixative for veterinary specimens that have been preserved as "museum specimens". They are kept in jars in a glass case outside our lab, however, some of the fixative is starting to turn brown (and we've pulled a few jars that have some slight cracks in them).
The specimens are currently in Jore's Fixative: 100 mL Distilled water
10 mL 40% Formaldehyde2 g Magnesium Sulfate2 g Sodium Sulfate1 g Sodium Chloride
Preserving specimens is new to me. I've never heard of Jore's fixative before and I'm wondering if I could get some advice, please?  Do these specimens need to be replaced with the same solution? Could we rinse the specimen and replace the solution with 70% Alcohol? OR would 10% NBF be better to store the specimens in (or something al together different)? We have a varying display of specimens - anywhere from a small porcine optic nerve to a large equine granulosa cell tumor. Realizing it may be different based on the size of the specimen, approximately how often should the solution be changed ?
Thank you so much! Any help or insight is much appreciated.
Rhonda McCormickRhonda McCormick BS, HT (ASCP)cm
Histology Diagnostic Lab Supervisor

College of Veterinary Medicine
Texas A&M University