[Histonet] O.C.T. what MW PVA and PEG?

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Thu Nov 30 23:47:35 CST 2023

Your method makes no sense! It looks like something informally passed along among students and technicians who have never read a book.
Cryoprotection means preventing formation of ice crystals or, as it's usually done, minimizing their size. Sucrose is a cryoprotectant; the higher the concentration the better, but strong solutions penetrate the tissue slowly. For fixed specimens dissolve the sucrose in water.  (For unfixed, use an isotonic phosphate buffer, but that's only if a day or so at 4C is OK for your needs. Very fast freezing may be needed, especially for muscle.)
OCT is not a cryoprotectant; it's goop that surrounds the specimen and enters cracks and spaces but it does not penetrate. OCT serves to hold each section together during transfer from the cryostat's knife onto a glass slide or coverslip.
For some more information (much of it derived from Histonet) have a look at the Biological Stain Commission's FAQ, at https://biologicalstaincommission.org/faqlist.htm#CRYPRO.
John Kiernan
https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/anatomy//people/faculty/emeriti/kiernan_john.html
= = =