[Histonet] O.C.T. what MW PVA and PEG?

Tyrone Genade tgenade at protonmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:46:16 CST 2023

Hello,

I'm using a cryoprotection protocol that involves 3-stage cryoprotection of 15% glucose O/N, then 30% + 50% OCT O/N and then finally O/N in OCT. Compared to previous protocols this works very well -- even when cutting through eyes and lenses (which had previously given a lot of grief).

My issue is that preparing the 30% + 50% OCT is a schlep. The OCT puts up a lot of resistance against mixing with the 60% sucrose. It would be much simpler if I could prepare 30% sucrose with powdered PVA and PEG. Does anyone know what MW polymers of PVA and PEG to use and what concentrations to approximate commercial (Scigen Tissue-Plus) OCT?

Thanks

Tyrone Genade Ph.D.
Quillen College of Medicine
ETSU