[Histonet] Sudanblack B on FFPET

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 12:45:46 CDT 2023

> Gudrun Lang in Austria asks:
>

>>Has anyone experience with Sudanblack B on paraffin slides for staining
[lipofuscin]? A doctor wants the demonstration of the lipoid content of
foamy cells or granulocytes in lung. I've found protocols that have
incubation-times from 10 minutes to over-night. - I've made a saturated
Sudan black B-solution in 70% ethanol and tried it with10 min on liver
without real success.<<

The main thing you need to do is demonstrate that it isn't hemosiderin with
an iron stain (Perls prussian blue reaction), and perhaps also that it
isn't acid-fast. Lipofuscin can be identified an H & E staining, except for
these considerations.

Bob Richmond
Maryville, Tennessee