[Histonet] Super cold cryostat cutting head temperatures

Caroline Miller mills42 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:11:18 CDT 2022

I have used down to -30 a few times for research samples, mainly to try and
get stuff to cut better rather than that is what was requested. Everything
gets very brittle at that temperature, including your hands after a short
while.

Never -60 though!

Maybe that is just for the peltier freezing mechanism? For putting the
tissue on the chucks with OCT glue?

I typically will set the specimen head a little lower than the chamber. But
only 3-4 degrees

This is the one I typically use and it is -40 max:
https://www.leicabiosystems.com/us/histology-equipment/cryostats/leica-cm3050-s/

I would be interested to know if anyone works at -60 in the LM world!

Caroline

--
Caroline Miller, M.Sc
Histology, Imaging, and Image analysis consultant