[Histonet] Stability Guarantee vs Expiration date

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Thu Mar 17 12:14:55 CDT 2022

Richard's suggestion is the most sensible suggestion that I've seen in a while, however, it means less money for reagent manufacturers, so I doubt we will ever see it come to pass. - Terri
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:45:44 +0000
From: "Cartun, Richard" <Richard.Cartun at hhchealth.org>

Well stated Tony, and thank for all this useful information.  I am hopeful that we can get expiration dates overturned here in the United States.  In the past, I have recommended a "Stability Guarantee" date to replace the "Expiration Date".  After that date passes it would be the responsibility of the performing laboratory to validate that the antibody is still working properly.  And, as you pointed out, this is easily accomplished with the positive control which is run in parallel.  Laboratories cannot no longer afford to discard expensive reagents, especially those that are not being produced any longer.  Also, with the current staffing crisis in Histology/IHC laboratories and supply-chain issues we need to simplify our work environment.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & The Martin M. Berman, MD
  Immunopathology/Morphologic Proteomics Laboratory
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 972-1596 Office