[Histonet] Automated Coverslippers

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Thu May 13 11:59:37 CDT 2021

Jennifer, we have used the Sakura Glas, Glas2 (attached to prisma stainer), and now the Sakura tape cover slipper attached to the Prisma. Also we have had the Leica CV5030 glass coverslipper.

All worked as long as they are kept clean. Daily maintenance is a must. If in a service contract they can last until parts are no longer available.

However, we moved to tape once we started scanning all our slides. Tape coverslipping is much faster and it dries instantly, allowing scanning immediately.

The pop-off issues with the tape was solved 20 years ago, so it has not been a problem. The only problem we have seen is that the tape does get scratched if the slides are handled a lot outside of flats. Previous to scanning we pulled slides a lot for conferences so pathologists did not like it. Once we started scanning that became a moot issue - no one pulls slides anymore except for the rare send out consultation.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center