[Histonet] Teaching color blind Histo student

B kB bertjekb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 04:50:15 CDT 2021

Hi,

Colourblindness ain’t a problem at all.
I know, because I already work for 35 years in the histopathogy.
Just a few things that causes problems for me:
Grossing: I describe tissue in the way I see, mostly I call something with
2 colours, p.e. “ the serose is brownish grey” (while collegaes mostly
mention 1 colour. But I can see the difference between normal and abnormal
tissue, that’s more important.
Embedding: only skin biopsies is it difficult to oriëntate when the colour
of the dermis is the same as the subcutis (in my eyes  ;-). So with that, I
ask my collegaes to embed these biopsies for me.
Staining: When I have to do the stainings, I just have to following the
protocol. In the SOP, There is always a example of the control slide. I
just have to compare the determination with the example of the SOP .

These are just a few example.
A colourblind technologist could be a great technician, with just a very
small restriction.

Regards,
Bert klein Brink
Chief histotechologist

Op za 27 mrt. 2021 om 02:41 schreef Ruppert, Amysue via Histonet <
histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>