[Histonet] Specimen tracking scenario, accountability

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Tue Jun 22 17:55:27 CDT 2021

Curt, You can make and use barcodes in MS Excel or Access and print labels. If you keep the clients items together in some kind of bag or container you can put the label on the outside and scan at each station to track them. You just need to be sure the items are all kept together to ensure nothing gets lost. A photo now and then at critical steps could be helpful (we still take pics of all racks going into our processors - trying to scan cassette barcodes in racks is difficult).

https://www.smartsheet.com/content/excel-barcodes

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center