[Histonet] Issue with Technovit 7100 - nerve samples

Chaitanya Kolluru cxk340 at case.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:57:24 CDT 2021

Hi,

I'm working on a protocol to embed human nerve samples (about 3 mm in
diameter, 5-7 mm in length) in glycol methacrylate and cut 2-3 micron thick
sections.

The sectioning seems fine at the start, but as I section deeper into the
sample, I find a lot of gaps forming in between the fascicles, which I'm
assuming are air bubbles.

I'm attaching an image of the block surface after sectioning about 500
microns into the sample. I'm also attaching a text file of my protocol if
that can help troubleshoot the issue.

Any help on how I might be able to reduce this artifact would be much
appreciated. If an alternative resin would alleviate this issue, please do
let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Chaitanya

Link to image of the block surface: