[Histonet] Iron stain on Bone Marrow crush specimens

Johnson, Carole Carole.Johnson at uchealth.org
Wed Jul 7 14:14:37 CDT 2021

Hello,

Would anyone be willing to share their protocol for performing iron stains on bone marrow crush specimens?  We are trying to convert from doing the stain manually to automated on a Ventana Special Stainer using the iron stain kit from Roche.  We are using the following protocol:

1.       Fix slide in methanol x 2 minutes

2.       Allow slide to air dry

3.       Rinse slide in distilled water

4.       Place slide on special stainer (Ventana only allows adjusting counterstain time, currently set at 4 minutes)

My plan is to pull additional crush smears and trying different counterstain times, but if anyone has other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Carole

Carole L Johnson, HT, QIHC (ASCP)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential peer review, risk management, and/or quality management information pursuant to the Colorado Professional Review Act, C.R.S. 12-36.5-101, et seq., the Colorado Hospital Licensing law, C.R.S. 25-3-109, the Quality Management Programs law, C.R.S. 25-35-904, and other corresponding provisions of federal and state law.  Please maintain the strict confidentiality of this information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and delete the original message from your computer and any network to which your computer is connected.