[Histonet] leaky formalin containers

Kolman, Kimberly D. Kim.Kolman at va.gov
Tue Feb 9 07:33:34 CST 2021

Has anyone been seeing a rash of leaky formalin specimen containers lately?  Specifically the small 4oz red lid containers from a certain manufacturer?
We are seeing leakage from probably 70-80% of the containers in the last couple of months.  Multiple lot #s and multiple clinic locations.
It is being addressed inhouse (please tighten/don't over tighten/leave containers upright.....)
Also - our lot#s could be some older ones as we are just now picking back up from the COVID shut down.  These have likely been sitting in the clinics for a while so they might not be any that are currently in circulation out there.
Just thought I'd see if there is a problem elsewhere.  TIA for any responses.

Kim

Kimberly D. Kolman, HT (ASCP)
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System
Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center