[Histonet] Frozen section slides fading

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Mon Mar 16 17:58:53 CDT 2020

Hi Dane,

Fading and especially leaching of the eosin, will occur if slides are incompletely dehydrated. Flip out the subsidiary condenser lens (or drop the condenser) and look for refractile water droplets.
Certain mountants can also cause fading of H&Es.
I would also be concerned about the xylene substitute.

Alternatively, after staining and ethanol dehydration, air dry the slides (making sure they are completely dry) and directly coverslip with your mountant (without the substitute added). This will reduce the risk of xylene exposure.

Hopefully this is useful

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA