[Histonet] Incomplete cross sections of all tissue in blocks

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:37:34 CST 2020

Steve A. McClain, MD at McClain Labs in Smithtown NY notes:

>>...to avoid incomplete sectioning...: ink the specimens well, using
acetic acid (vinegar) to fix the ink, thereby making the ink easier to see
in the block.<<

I don't like ink for this purpose, because it clutters up the microscopic
section and interferes with photography. Better to use safranin O for this
purpose (not fluorescent like eosin Y) - it isn't visible in the sections.
The safranin solution used as a counterstain in the microbiology
department's Gram stain works quite well.

When I requested recuts for any reason, I'd always fetch the paraffin block
myself and examine it. Saved many surprises.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN