[Histonet] hard Tick histology

Paula Keene Pierce paula at excaliburpathology.com
Thu Mar 5 15:53:35 CST 2020

The exoskeletons of insects are made of chitin and contain little calcium.
Lysol spray contains a type of phenol which will soften chitin. The phenol is what kills bacteria, mold, and viruses by destroying their outer shells.
Try spraying Lysol in a small container so you have a few mls. It will not evaporate. Soak the tick in this for about 10-20 minutes.
Instead, you may have a bottle of phenol sitting around somewhere.
Or DIAPHANOL (a 50 per cent solution of glacial acetic acid saturated with chlorine dioxide) is also used, but can also damage he internal tissue.
Paula Keene Pierce, BS, HTL(ASCP)HTPresidentExcalibur Pathology, Inc.5830 N Blue Lake DriveNorman, OK 73069PH 405-759-3953http://www.excaliburpathology.com

A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye. - Klingon Proverb