[Histonet] Pregnant in histo lab. Am I safe?

Ana Maluenda Ana.Maluenda at baker.edu.au
Sat Jan 18 20:38:21 CST 2020

Hi Valerie,

I don't know how it is in US, but in Australia what I did was to liaise with our Occupational Health and Safety Department to check which measurements they'd recommend about having pregnant workers around the lab.

My lab however is not heavily Histology and the tissue processing is done off-site, so the exposure to chemicals like Xylene and Formalin is not as much as probably for you as a Histotech. But regardless, they helped with general queries and PPE recommendations (especially fitting respirators).

Hope you find a good solution for both sides.

Kind regards,

Ana

Ana Maluenda
Research Assistant/Laboratory Manager
Atherothrombosis and Vascular Biology Laboratory

Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute
75 Commercial Road, Melbourne VIC 3004