[Histonet] Pap stains

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Thu Jan 2 00:17:32 CST 2020

As a student in the 1960s I was told by my elders and betters to filter all staining solutions before using. It was very good advice. Filtration does not prolong the life of a stain, but it does remove crud, a material that can be composed of polymerized dyes and bits of previously stained cells or tissues.

Fifty years on, I can identify a few staining solutions that never deteriorate into insoluble materials that fall out of solution even after 10+ years. Even for these, filtration before use is good laboratory practice. Not filtering any stain may therefore be bad laboratory practice.

Happy New Year,  John Kiernan
= = =