[Histonet] too much formalin time (Curt Tague)

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs at kcl.ac.uk
Sun Apr 5 13:39:25 CDT 2020

Hi Curt
I trust you and yours are well...
Imho.....it will still be an excellent control, provided that you are processing  it to Paraffin wax and use  HIER ( antigen retrieval) before IHC/IF.
Sure, as long as it has been optimally fixed ( immersion fixation with no agitation -BAD- leads to zonal variations of positivity)
I have posted images on Histonet site of human tonsil that has remained in fix for a similar time before processing.
Sure, I cannot guarantee all proteins will be retrievable but, in my XP, good fixation is the key....not the length of fixation.

Best wishes

Carl

Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager