[Histonet] Bone Marrow Assists

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Mon Sep 30 08:30:52 CDT 2019

Our Histology Techs also assist with Bone Marrows in CT, though there is little to do.  We collect the aspirate in Heparin Tubes and the core in Bouins.  We bring it back to the lab and make our smears from one of the heparin tubes.  The other tubes go for special studies.  I'd like to think our smears are better than many.  We pour the aspirate into a weigh boat and use a pipet to pick out the spicules for picture perfect smears. Much better results than the old method of making the smears at bedside.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital