[Histonet] Frozen Gel Pack with paraffin block for shipping?

Paula plucas at biopath.org
Wed Mar 6 10:53:57 CST 2019

Hello,

This question has come up here at work a few times. Apparently, the
department does different protocols, depending on who is doing the job of
shipping out a paraffin block for additional testing. Our transcription
department handles this and I was asked to look into it so I can submit a
protocol for them to follow.

Is there an industry standard to follow?  I'm leaning towards always putting
in an frozen gel pack during the warmer months inside the shipping container
to avoid any melted blocks. I know the melting point is somewhere around
136F (58C), but I still want to ensure the block doesn't get warped or
altered in any way because of the heat. Plus, we shouldn't have to check the
weather before sending out and I think it  just should be our standard
protocol.

What are your thoughts and if there is a standard, please share that with
me.

Thank you very much,

Paula

Lab Manager