[Histonet] fume hoods for grossing

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:17:27 CDT 2019

Mehndi Helgren at Dominion Pathology Laboratories in Norfolk, VA asks:

>>I'm trying to see what kind of exhaust/fume hoods people are using in
small grossing labs. We are moving into a new space and I want to make sure
the ventilation at the gross board is adequate. I don't think an actual
grossing station is in the budget.<<

What's needed - and this may not be in the budget either - is a louvered
air intake at the level of the grosser's hands, to draw off the
formaldehyde fumes and some of the potentially infectious aerosols.

The consensus in my more than 50 years of grossing seemed to be that the
pathologist's or other grosser's health and comfort didn't matter very much.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN