[Histonet] gross ventillation

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Thu Jun 6 12:28:13 CDT 2019

Just a few words on gross ventilation.  To be really efficient, it should be downdraft ventilation with appropriate sink access.  Hoods with lowered sashes obscure working vision needed, are horrible to clean and disinfect.  There should be no excuse for not budgeting an appropriate downdraft gross workstation in a new gross workspace.  They cost 20% of what a good tissue processor costs.  If your budget allows for the purchase of a good downdraft hood (I am a big fan of LabConCo) it is probably not too much of a stretch to purchase a downdraft workstation. That way formalin capture and sink access are completely vented.  Either way, please stand up for safety.  Best of luck to you.  Sincerely, Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

Today's Topics:
   3. fume hoods for grossing (Histology)
Message: 3
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 16:46:25 +0000
Subject: [Histonet] fume hoods for grossing
Hi Histonetters,
I'm trying to see what kind of exhaust/fume hoods people are using in small grossing labs.  We are moving into a new space and I want to make sure the ventilation at the gross board is adequate.  I don't think an actual grossing station is in the budget.
Thanks,
Mehndi Helgren
Dominion Pathology Laboratories
733 Boush St.