[Histonet] Tissue Adherence problem

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Jul 17 12:25:38 CDT 2019

Hi Deanne -
Hope this will help
For our Ventana Ultra, we use Leica / Surgipath Apex Superior Adhesive slides.
We use de ionized water in our baths at 45C ish, no additives.
We never "double-dip" our slides (meaning that if we mount a control on the top of the slide, we turn the slide upside down to pick it up, only immersing the slide to pick up the intended tissue)
We pre-bake IHC slides in a hot air blower over at 65C, 10 min for small tissues, and 1 hr for large tissues, then load for IHC.

For special stains, we use the same slides, but they go directly on the Sakura Prisma stainer into the instrument oven at 65C for 15 minutes before staining
For H&E, we use the plain Surgipath Snowcoat  slides, no adhesive, directly on the Sakura Prisma stainer into the instrument oven at 65C for 15 minutes before staining.  They dry vertically in a rack as we cut, then we load as soon as the rack is full.

We once had an issue with tissue falling off and were able to trace it to a new tech's liberal use of Paraguard Spray. Stopped using it, wiped everything down with alcohol and our problem went away.
Also, many years ago, I had a problem with a bad lot of slides, but these were Cardinal's.
I sincerely hope you can get this straightened out.  I know how frustrating such a problem can be.
Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

Today's Topics:
   2. Tissue Adherence Issue (Knutson, Deanne)
Message: 2