[Histonet] Opinion on dye on biopsies

Gareth Davis garethdavisyuma at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:14:48 CST 2019

So, I work in a small GI lab, and I put Eosin in my first formalin on my
processor.  My biopsies are very small and this helps, somewhat, to see the
specimens for embedding and cutting.  But, unfortunately, the esophagus
tissues do not absorb the eosin much.  Anyway, the hospital lab I work,
part-time, in has started using hematoxylin to help see their biopsies.  I
happen to embed there and I think it just makes a big mess and the tissue
does not absorb much of the stain.
What are other labs doing to aid in making their small biopsies easier to
see?  What are pros and cons to doing this, in your opinion?
Thanks!

--
*Ms. Gareth B. Davis*, B.S., HT, QIHC  (ASCP)cm
Yuma Gastroenterology