[Histonet] Muscle Enzyme Histochemistry

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 25 14:37:16 CST 2019

Hi,
I presume you are talking about light microscopy. Glutaraldehyde is
often used for electron microscopy. If that is the case, ignore this.

Glutataraldehyde fixes similarly to formalin, so the morphology should
not be much different. However, it leaves the tissue with free aldehyde
groups and these can react with Schiff's reagent or silver reductions.
That means if doing a PAS or methenamine silver you should first (before
oxidation) do an aldehyde block. I recommend aniline-acetic acid for 30
minutes, although others work as well. If you don't you will have a dark
background. It is unlikely that enzyme histochemistry will be
successful, but you never know. Esterase may still be demonstrable,
possibly, but the ATPase iso-enzymes are unlikely to survive.

Go to http://stainsfile.info and read the pages on glutaraldehyde for
more information about it.

Bryan Llewellyn