[Histonet] Words, phrases and names in histotechnology. A free glossary.

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Tue Feb 12 00:12:01 CST 2019

Hello histonetters. I'm a HistoNet old-timer, back again after a few years away. It's good to see that a few names are still around from the 1990s.

Here is something new that may interest all of us. I send it as a news item; a change from the usual initial question that initiates a Histonet topic.

A freely accessible online glossary of words, phrases and eponyms used in histotechnology, histochemistry and immunostaining was published by the Biological Stain Commission (BSC) at the end of December 2018.  It includes about 600 entries; it is to be revised and expanded from time to time. (A minor revision was uploaded on 19th January 2019.)

Notable features are extensive crosslinks between the entries, and explanations of terminology related to chemical and physical mechanisms involved in the methods. There are also definitions and explanations relating to all the stains (dyes) certified by the BSC.

The BSC glossary is readable on screens of all sizes (including mobile phones), and navigation among links is extremely rapid.

Check it out directly at https://biologicalstaincommission.org/bscglossary.html. Alternatively, see it in the broader context of the BSC:  http://biostain.com.

John Kiernan

= = =