[Histonet] Retic staining

deGuzman, Jose R Jose.R.deGuzman at gunet.georgetown.edu
Tue Apr 23 13:05:59 CDT 2019

Hi Charles,

Ammoniacal Silver is a tricky step, we've had a lot of repeat Bielschowsky stains in the past due to it. You don't need to go drop by drop, what's key is to gently stir the solution as you slowly add ammonium hydroxide until the precipitate is reincorporated back into the solution. I don't know if your protocol has a specific amount of ammonium hydroxide to add but we've found that sometimes it takes less and sometimes it takes more than what is recommended to clear. Make sure you stir and keep an eye on the solution to make sure you only add what is needed for the reaction.

Jose