[Histonet] VIP issue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 12:34:21 CDT 2018

Gudrun:
I have used/recommended for 10 years now graded isopropyl (2-propanol) alcohol to dehydrate and before paraffin ONLY and when I went to Australia in 2011 found out that they had been using the same protocol for years.
You just grade 2-propanol in the same way you grade ethanol (60%→80%→90%→100%) and continue DIRECTLY to paraffin.
Usually I dedicate one "hot" (paraffin) VIP station with a 1:1 of 2-propanol + paraffin mixture to facilitate the infiltration or (better yet) one "hot" station with a 1:1 mixture of 2-propanol + pure mineral oil (= paraffin of low molecular weight) and the infiltration is really excellent.
In this way you will be able to eliminate BOTH xylene and any other "friendly" clearing agent (ALL are toxic lat different evels). 2-propanol is NOT toxic AT ALL!
I have ALSO stopped using xylene to de-wax sections before staining and substituted it with a 2% aq. sol. of dishwashing soap and go to water → staining after (I can send you the detailed protocol / publications).
AFTER staining I just rinse the stained slides in 2-propalo → shake it well → to dry oven at 60ºC for 10 minutes → coverslip.
My lab was TOTALLY xylene free, and you can do the same thing. If you are hesitant just TRY these methods with only few blocks / sections / stained sections and convince yourself.
Best regards
René