[Histonet] Paperwork

Campbell, Tasha M. tmcampbe at fmh.org
Fri Jul 27 10:16:26 CDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions:

  1.  Could someone please share some ways to keep track of the control that goes with the slides that it was used for?  So I am a small GI lab and there is a pathologist here a couple days a week.  We do trichrome on Microscopic colitis cases and so I have been batching the trichromes because it's a long stain to do by hand and it's a lot easier to do it that way. But my slides are automatically printed for me and they have the date on them that the specimen was entered into the system.  I cut the slide but then hold it until I am ready to do the stain.  I put a date on the trichrome control slide but it of course does not match the date on the patient slides because they have been held for a few days.  Is this something I even need to worry about?  So far I have just been writing down the date that I stain the patient slide on a log sheet but I am trying to minimize the amount of paperwork/manual logging.

  1.  We recently got a accessioning system and I can now pull the number of blocks and stains done each day.  Do I need to still keep writing down in my log sheet the number of blocks and stains?  Do I need to print out the report that has the numbers and file it or since I have the ability to pull it from the system, I don't need to have physical logs.

I am just trying to minimize as much manual logging and paperwork as possible!  Thanks in Advance!!!

Tasha Campbell, B.S.,HTL(ASCP)
Frederick Gastroenterology Associates
310 W. 9th St.
Frederick, MD 21701