[Histonet] Special stains and hoods

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed Aug 22 10:47:09 CDT 2018

I guess the question is, who told you this and what is their reference?

Most special stains don't require a hood. Only those that have volatile chemicals or odors that may be offensive (ie, ammonium sulfide). We have some areas we do specials without a hood. Our main special stain areas have a "comfort" hood that is not a real chemical hood but more like a hood in an oven hood in a commercial kitchen.  They are not certified or checked in any way and we do not claim they are safety hoods.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center