[Histonet] Calretinin for Hirschsprung's

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:19:36 CDT 2018

Chris Mason (where?) asks: >>Would anyone be willing to share their
protocol for the sectioning of Hirschprung's cases and the use of
calretinin? Our pathologists want to begin using this technique. We are
thinking of alternating H&E and unstained to be used for calretinin in the
case of inconclusive biopsies.<<

Are we talking about frozen sections here? Usually what's wanted is
intraoperative consultation about whether neurons are present in the
specimen. I never had anything available but H & E. If I'd had any
authority, I'd have wanted to do a rapid esterase histochemical stain on
the frozen material.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN