[Histonet] Sucrose cryoprotection

Mike Tighe mtighe at trudeauinstitute.org
Thu Apr 5 08:11:29 CDT 2018

I'm having problems getting good cryosections of mouse lung tissue that has been formaldehyde fixed, cryoprotected with sucrose, and embedded in OCT. The lungs were fixed with 3% formaldehyde for 24 hours followed by 10%, 20%, and 30% sucrose until the tissue sank in solution. When sectioning the tissues collapse. I have tried cutting colder and cutting thicker but still getting poor sections. I embedded whole lobes of the lung individually.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!

Mike