[Histonet] Histology lab flooring

Cassie P. Davis CDavis at che-east.org
Wed Oct 11 13:10:04 CDT 2017

Hi Jennifer,

        I've worked in five labs all with different flooring and the floor that is in my current lab seems to fit your needs. It is a battleship gray deck paint (with sand or grit in it) that was applied when the lab was built 1990. The gray hides the dirty paraffin, lets you see the black inked and the whitish un-inked specimens. We use sidewalk scrapers to get the excess paraffin up, sometime a little of the microtome cleaner too if it gets bad.  We have surgeons bringing specimens down in their booties, office folks walking in their stilettos safely until they get on the smooth hall tiles just outside of our doors. Spills clean-up OK, we just haven't found anything to remove the mystery eosin stain that showed up one Monday but I don't think that's the floor's fault.

happy hunting...

     Cassie