[Histonet] gross photography

Hawkins, Hal K. hhawkins at UTMB.EDU
Tue Nov 28 15:41:19 CST 2017

We have used handheld digital cameras for our research in sheep in Galveston.  For autopsies at the Shriners hospital, we use handheld cameras, one operated by a professional photographer, and also an old copy stand with hot lights and a backlight and a Sony digital camera with a macro lens on an alpha lens mount adapter, which works pretty well.  The new macro photography in the UTMB autopsy service is great -- you enter the case number and put the specimen on the stand, and the system handles focus, exposure and record keeping and provides excellent pictures.

From: Julio Benavides Silván via Histonet [histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:27 PM
To: histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] gross photography

Hi there,

May I ask you your opinion about which system you are using to take
gross pictures? We are using a couple of big tungsten light bulbs and
a Nikon d60 camera. We are a research lab working with sheep, so we
get big lesions in big organs. I was wondering if anybody is using a
Digital Gross Photography System and how they compare with a "more
ytraditional" digital camera approach.

As always, thank you so much for your opinions. Greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Julio