[Histonet] Supervising a histologist

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Nov 1 12:40:42 CDT 2017

I don't think it sounds like a strange question at all, but the quick answer is yes, it is perfectly legal and acceptable for an OJT Lab Assistant to be temporarily assigned to supervise an HTL. As long as it does not break any local/state requirements for licensure, or in the case of a unionized lab, and even then, it might be permissible since it is only a temporary "assignment" of responsibility in the absence of the manager/supervisor. Usually such a temporary position has less to do with technical expertise than a chain of command for reporting incidents, or assigning coverage in the absence of employees.  I was once made a interim director of all lab services over MTs and MLTs, though I have no clinical experience.  My main skill was communication and prioritization of work which served the position well.  In times of trouble, I depended on the MTs./MLTs and the pathologists to give guidance for technical expertise.  I would think that the same principles would apply.
Sincerely,
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

2. Supervising a histologist (Eileen Akemi Allison)