[Histonet] Much off from normal histology topics

koellingr at comcast.net koellingr at comcast.net
Mon May 29 10:46:19 CDT 2017

So please delete as quickly as you want.

Happy Memorial Day and everlasting thanks to those who gave their all.

Just returned last week from the International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles. 1,700 high school students from 75 countries and regions with their 1,400 projects. Not only were there numerous medical, pathology, biotech or biological research projects, a couple were utilizing classical histology . I chaperoned two kids from high school in Spokane to join the entire 19 student "Team Washington". We (Team Washington students) won some individual prizes.

But there were many projects around the massive hall concerning B&T cells, dendritic cells, melanoma diagnosis, PCR, BRCA1 and 2 genes and on and on and literally on about "tissues" if I wanted to keep typing.

There is an Internationally ISEF affiliated state fair in ALMOST every state. And countries all over the world including two counties from Africa, there for the first time. Work with a high schooler and through a doctor, hospital, lab, or educational institute on a histology project. It can be done if.

Ray Koelling
Lecturer, University of Washington School of Medicine, WWAMI Spokane