[Histonet] need help staining 120um human whole brain sections!

Maria Mejia mbmphoto at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:46:53 CDT 2017

Good morning Rene,

I have worked out special staining IHC protocols to work on celloidin cut sections from 60um to 600um thick.  These are
free-floating human whole brainstem & whole brain sections. The IHC is amazing using single, double & triple. We save on
antibodies, ABC, polymer, TSA using the parafilm method.

For example:
1)  I use a sheet of parafilm slightly larger than the section to be stained & it’s placed on flat surface (glass slide or dish
or whatever).
2) Using a pipette, small drops of working diluted antibody are placed on the parafilm surface to match the size of the tissue
section (from 500ul to 1ml).
3) Then the tissue section is free-floated from PBST/2% Triton onto another cut sheet of parafilm, where carefully the section
is floating onto the middle surface of the antibody drops by using a brush. As the section lays flat, the drops spread throughout
the tissue surface - evenly covering the bottom of the tissue section.
4) This step is repeated for the top surface & the section is gently sealed by placing another parafilm sheet on the top surface
of the section to spread the antibody & seal the section for incubation overnight.

This method works, although time consuming! The problem is for the washes, quenching & blocking - we need a semi automatic
IHC system to take of these steps.  To bad there isn’t a robotic arm we could have built & programed to do the above steps. We
need an inventor type person to build what I can imagine.

best
Maria