[Histonet] need help staining 120um human whole brain sections!

Maria Mejia mbmphoto at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 19:10:41 CDT 2017

Or lab is currently processing a human whole brain.  In about a month or two, the whole brain, which will be encased
in celloidin & serial sections will be cut at 120um each.  Now, we’ve bought an old Tetrander cast iron microtome. If
you haven’t seen one of these microtomes, I can tell you it’s BIG!

Now, we’ll have to stain quite a number of these sections for IHC.  In fact too many to handle manually. If possible, need
to find a way to at least stain the majority of these sections in a semi-automatic system e.g. washes, quenching & blocking.

Does any one think it’s possible to convert a LABGO processor (made in India & can hold 2 liter glass beakers) or a
Sakura-Tissue-Tek 4640 (also holds glass beakers - both are old style circular processors using glass beakers for staining
these sections? Does anyone have an alternative system? I could sure use some input or ideas anyone welcome
and most appreciated.

Maria Mejia
Lead Histologist
UCSF