[Histonet] more MOHS questions

Victoria Kline vkline650 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 15:38:25 CDT 2017

Hi fellow histotechs!

Currently working on our procedure manual for MOHS and had a question about optimal room temperature and humidity. I know CLIA requires that we keep track of this, but I'm struggling to find information on what readings are optimal for MOHS. Our MOHS set up is in a very small room in a private derm center and I'll be honest, it gets rather warm and stuffy in there due to such a small space. I do keep the door open, and the blind shut when the sun is out, but we're on a AC track that services a few patient rooms and asking to drop the temp has resulted in some chilly patients.

Also, any advice on controlling static. I'm having a lot of issues with tissue curling once I lift the anti roll plate. I've thought about getting an anti static brush, but wasn't sure what you all do. I don't know if keeping a dryer sheet tucked in the back will make a difference. I struggled so much this week with the anti roll plate. It worked beautifully on some cases and then there were condensing and tissue tearing on others. I'm assuming I really shouldn't need to adjust it for each case, but perhaps I am mistaken. Some of our edge is a bit chipped, so I think I really need to flip the glass. (which I've never done before, but I imagine its just loosening the two top screws, sliding the glass out and then tightening). We have a Leica and the manual states we should be able to use all 4 sides of the glass.

Our eyewash station and microscope logs are done by the derm practice the MOHs lab takes place in. Do I still need to include the policy and do separate logs for CLIA for MOHS? Its a shared location. Most of the week its just for routine derm, and on Mondays we do MOHS there.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Victoria