[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 164, Issue 9 slide adhesion

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Thu Jul 13 13:06:27 CDT 2017

Greg,
It sounds like 2 or 3 problems and LEEP specimens are partially heat fixed, giving addition artifacts related to poor adhesion.

1. Short processing cycles w insufficient paraffin times or dirty xylenes can do this. Double your maintenance or try the radical by removing formalin from processor adding more time in alcohol xylene and paraffins.

2. Any water during annealing on slide warmer. Summer months w high humidity may prolong drying times.

3. 30 min baking sounds short to me-skin usually needs at least an 60-90min @90C sometimes 4H, some antibodies overnight. Extra baking does not repair or compensate for the damage from #2 in my experience.
Good luck.

Steve A. McClain, MD