[Histonet] Humidity issues-desperate for help

Trini Nguyen nguy0515 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:01:14 CDT 2017

Hello Histonetters!

I am currently working in a Mohs lab in Minnesota and during the winter
time we have no issues with humidity but comes summer, my slides get washed
out by the end of the day. I have tried everything I can think of but
NOTHING works.

I have tried changing solutions throughout the day, keeping the stainer lid
open, adding molecular sieve in my alcohols and xylene substitutes, and a
dehumidifier.

We have the mini Thermo linear stainer under an airfiltronix filter which
adds to the humidity issue.

If anybody out there has other solutions I haven't tried yet please send
them my way!

One more thing that I have heard a long time ago at a conference is that if
you use xylene substitutes then you do not have to use a hood/any type of
ventilation system. Does that sound correct to anyone?  Is that statement
true?

I have worked in labs that coverslip straight from alcohol and a
ventilation system is not required but I notice the staining is not optimal
in the long run.