[Histonet] MOHS embedding

Victoria Kline vkline650 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 16:00:45 CST 2017

Hello! I've been a histotech for several years and have recently joined a dermatology practice that has started doing MOHS. I was curious which embedding technique most MOHS techs prefer to use and why? Currently I've been using a heat sink (not attached) to do my embedding. We only have one heat sink, so I'll do my embedding on the free heat sink and then flip that "button" over onto a chuck with semi solid embedding medium. I don't let anything set on top (since we don't have another heat sink). I've done a lot of research on the cryoembedder, but its very expensive and my practice won't go for the cost. I'm interested in trying the slide technique, but wanted to hear from other techs about it. Do you put any embedding medium on the slide first or not? I've seen it described both ways. Any feedback is appreciated, especially on which technique has given the best results for speed and accuracy on full epidermis.

Victoria Kline HT (ASCP)
Lancaster, PA