[Histonet] Microtomy of Equine Tendon Blocks

Gerard Spoelstra G.Spoelstra at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Dec 7 20:25:18 CST 2017

Hi Alan

We have had success with horse's hoof using potassium hydroxide prior to processing. After the hoof is fixed for several weeks we leave the hoof for 12 hours sometimes longer in 10% Potassium Hydroxide and then further trim the tissue in. The Potassium Hydroxide  has a marked affect in softening the tissue without affecting the staining.  The tissue is processed as usual. We all our process the tissue with our paraffin temperature set at 60 degrees C. This gives better infiltration of hard tissue. I would try with one block. Take it back to water leave it in NBF for O/N the leave it in 10% Potassium Hydroxide for 12 hours. After washing in water  process as usual.

regards

Gerard Spoelstra

Veterinary Histology

Murdoch University