[Histonet] hirsch-peiffer cresyl violet method?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Fri Apr 14 13:44:43 CDT 2017

Hi all,

Does anyone have the method for Hirsch-peiffer cresyl violet used  for metachromatic leukodystrophy? On frozen sections.

We are trying to find out if it is different than the usual cresyl violet with acetic acid method for Nissl bodies.

I've found many references to it, but none that give the procedure. And the original paper is from 1955 not easily available. And is in German....

Thanks for any help.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center