[Histonet] Stainer vs coverslipper

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Mon Apr 3 09:35:27 CDT 2017

Such a shame that you have to choose.  But, that said, a coverslipper.  Hands down.  If nothing else, due to safety and exposure reasons alone.  H and E stains can be unstained and restained, easily corrected, and easily accomplished in batches and the racks have HANDLES.  But with coverslipping by hand, there is no way to avoid contact with solvents, even if using Nitrile gloves, which eventually break down in any solvent.  I've used good auto coverslippers and bad ones, but ask any of my techs (and I did) and they would rather give up the stainer than the coverslipper.  We've had our Sakura Glas now for almost 10 years with virtually no problems.  The ability to load 60 slides and walk away to come back to perfectly coverslipped slides is a blessing.  I hope this helps.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital