[Histonet] buffered zn-formalin recipe needed

Amos Brooks amosbrooks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:41:09 CDT 2016

Hi Johanna,
     The Histonet Archives are your friend. In 2009, Gayle Callis posted a
great formulation that being the neo-Luddite that I am I printed and have a
copy of here for just such an occasion...

http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/htdig/histonet/2009-October/046985.html

Zinc Fixative (JB Fixative or ZSF)

0.1M Tris Buffer, pH 7.4
      Tris Base -------------------------------- 12.1 g (TRIZMA)
      1N HCL ----------------------------------- 81.5 ml
      Distilled water -------------------------- 900 ml

      Mix to dissolve. Adjust pH to 7.4
Zinc Fixative
      Calcium Acetate ---------------------- 0.5 g
      Zinc Chloride -------------------------- 5.0 g
      0.1M Tris Buffer made above ------ 1000 ml
Mix to dissolve. The final pH will be approximately 6.5-7.0. Do not readjust
the pH, as this will cause the zinc to come out of solution. Store Zinc
Fixative at room temperature. Fix tissues for 24 to 48 hours. Fixation
longer than 48 hours may make the tissue brittle and difficult to cut.

Good Luck,

Amos

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:33 PM, <histonet-request at lists.utsouthwestern.edu