[Histonet] Adipose Tissue on Frozen Sections

Meilus, Sheri D. Sheri.Meilus at va.gov
Fri Sep 23 05:21:30 CDT 2016

Hello Netters,

Does anyone have a protocol for optimizing section quality for specimens with considerable adipose tissue to produce cryostat sections?  We have had several instances recently with derm specimens with considerable subcutaneous adipose tissue as well as lymph nodes with surrounding pericapsular fat and surgeons demanding margins.  We perform frozen sections on standard Leica cryostats at -20 +/- 2 degrees.  Anyone out there use liquid nitrogen or another piece of equipment that would freeze the specimen at a lower temperature than a standard cryostat?  Thanks!
Sheri

Sheri Meilus HT (ASCP) QIHC
Building 100,  Room 2B-109
727-398-6661 ext 14596/14146