[Histonet] Question on Sanderson Rapid Bone Stain

Alicia Marie Ortega alicia.ortega at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 22 15:50:28 CDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to stain 30-40 micron thick undecalcified bone sections embedded in poly(methyl methacrylate) with Sanderson Rapid Bone Stain (RBS) with a Van Geison counter stain.

My first attempt at this stain resulted in a very faint stain from the RBS (I could see very faint blue/green staining of osteoid/soft tissues) and a very intense dark pink stain from the counterstain.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to intensify the staining of the RBS?  I heated the stain to 55-60 degrees Celsius as recommended by the manufacturer prior to staining (with a 10 minute stain duration).

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Alicia Ortega

Postdoctoral Research Associate

University of Colorado, Boulder